Choose2 Goal: every Illinois Baptist “choosing” to pray twice daily for the salvation of two lost friends, family members, neighbors, or co-workers.
Step One: Choose two friends, family members, neighbors, or co-workers who do not have saving faith in Christ.
What criteria should my friend or neighbor meet, other than being lost? He or she should be someone with whom your life regularly intersects. It needs to be someone you work with, live near, or with whom you have frequent contact.
– People you choose could include a son or daughter; brother or sister; father or mother; your child’s school teacher, principal, or coach; the kid who mows your lawn; a waiter or waitress at a restaurant you visit often; or someone in your neighborhood.
– People you probably should not choose include those who live across the state or friends from high school you haven’t seen in years.
Make every effort to build a deeper relationship with your Choose2 friends and neighbors.
Step Two: Commit to pray for their salvation twice a day.
Ask for God to:
– Give you an opportunity to share your faith with them. “Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving. At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ …” Colossians 4:2-3.
– Make you bold to share your faith. “… praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak.” (Ephesians 6:18-20)
Why should we pray? Our chief motivation should be born out of a genuine desire to see others saved. “Brothers, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for them is that they may be saved.” (Romans 10:1). Some specific things we can pray for are that God will make them curious about spiritual things, that they will clearly grasp their need for a Savior, and that God will surround them with other witnessing Christians.
Step Three: Invite your Choose2 family and friends to at least two events at your church this year.
– Small Group or Sunday School class
– Worship Service
– Vacation Bible School
– Fall Festival
– Revival or Crusade
– Block Party
Implementation Ideas for Churches
– Devote a Sunday or a series of Sundays to focus on the lostness of your community.
– Lead your church to commit not only to choosing two lost family members or friends, but also to praying for their salvation twice every day.
– Make sure church members who commit to choosing two lost people receive a Choose2 prayer reminder wristband and commitment card.
– Incorporate time to pray for Choose2 in Sunday School or small group times.
– Establish a time during the worship service to allow people to pray for their Choose2 family and friends.
– Provide quarterly evangelism training.
– Encourage your church to invite their Choose2 family and friends to your church’s attractional evangelistic events, such as Friend Day.
– Encourage church members to look for ways to serve or minister to their Choose2 family members or friends at least twice this year.
Implementation Ideas for Parents
– Lead your family to choose another family, then invite them to dinner at your house twice this year.
– Make Choose2 part of your daily family prayer time.
– Teach your children to pray evangelistically for their friends.
– Choose other parents whose children play with yours or participate in school activities together.